Monday, October 13, 2008

“Alas, Poor Yorik! I knew him…..a little.”


Politics can be a truly thankless job that earns minor ducats for the sincere of heart.

So, why do so many pursue this career? I can’t begin to understand what would motivate someone to become a modern politician; it seems to be an all consuming job that makes good men and women compromise their beliefs and suppress their own initial interests. I think it comes down to the basic idea behind motivation. I would define the term motivation as any drive that compels an individual to act for an end purpose. My generic definition can apply to just about anything; from the motivation to study for a good grade to hunting for sport or food or political reasons.

The most significant concept that I was able to discern from the article, “Motivation” by Shah and Shah, is that the majority of behaviors and actions can be contributed to some basic form of motivation. What motivates one individual to kill and another to change is entirely dependent upon the personality, mental stability and well-being of the person (among many other factors). I think I would rather spend my time contemplating a skull than trying to find motivation at a political rally.

Shah, K. & Shah, P. (n.d.) Motivation. Retrieved October 11 2008, from http://www.laynetworks.com/Motivation.html.

No comments: